• News
  • Hectic hockey schedule chalked for Indian team
This story is from October 3, 2003

Hectic hockey schedule chalked for Indian team

LUCKNOW: India, who qualified for the 2006 World Cup by winning the Asia Cup in Malaysia last month, will play in the Azlan Shah hockey tournament in January, 2004. This follows the inaugural Afro-Asian Games to be held in Hyderabad in October and a series against the Dutch at the end of January, 2004.
Hectic hockey schedule chalked for Indian team
LUCKNOW: India, who qualified for the 2006 World Cup by winning the Asia Cup in Malaysia last month, will play in the Azlan Shah hockey tournament in 2004. This follows the inaugural Afro-Asian Games to be held in India this year.
Already India have played five tournaments in the last three months and have won three titles. But the players still have a hectic schedule ahead.

But before the Azlan Shah tournament, India have to field its team in the first-ever Afro-Asian Games, which are slated from October 24 to November 1 at Hyderabad. The Azlan Shah tournament is scheduled in Ipoh from January 3 to 13, 2004.
"In fact the Azlan Shah tournament is one of the series that the IHF has planned to build up the Indian team for the Olympics qualifiers," said Kumaran in an exclusive talk to TNN.
"This is a must to keep the players fighting fit for the qualifiers and then for the Olympic Games in Athens," added the IHF secretary.
"The IHF president, K P S Gill, was in Malaysia during the Asia Cup. The Malaysian hockey authorities discussed the matter with him and the latter agreed to send the national team," he informed.
India had pulled out of the 2003 Azlan Shah tournament at the 11th hour due to the alleged harassment of Indian nationals in Malaysia.

India also have to play in the Dutch series which has happened for the first time after 26 years. Hosted by India it is slated for the last week of January. After the Dutch series, India will go to Madrid to play the Olympic qualifiers.
Jothikumaran said that the reports of doctors who are treating injured penalty corner specialist Jugraj Singh in the Batra hospital, New Delhi were very encouraging.
"Gill and the doctors had a long meeting in New Delhi on Tuesday and according to the doctors, the progress of the player is going very well. Jugraj Singh, after the entire treatment, will be able to don the India colours again," said Jothikumaran, who is also grateful to sponsors Sahara India for inviting the team to Lucknow to honour them.
"Besides, some of the top Indian orthopaedic surgeons have been approached and they would soon visit Jugraj to give their advice," he added.
Even the hospital authories in New Delhi also confirmed that the visits of Dr Anant Joshi and Dr Thomas Chandy were already scheduled.
N K Batra, a senior vice-president of the IHF and the owner of the Batra hospital, said, quoting his doctors, that Jugraj would start walking within 10 days.
"He has already started sitting on the bed. Soon he would be made to sit at the chair before being helped to move about on the crutches," informed Batra, whose hospital has decided to give Jugraj Rs 10 lakh for his treatment abroad, besides offering all the medical facilities free of cost.
"There is no bone loss as such, which has been quoted by some newspapers. The doctors in Jalandhar have done well and the doctors here in Delhi feel that he would recover and play again," said the IHF senior vice-president.
He also said that Jugraj Singh would take about six-seven weeks before being shifted abroad for further treatment.
It is not fixed yet as to where Jugraj Singh has to be taken for physiotherapy and further treatment. "Actually it is to be decided by the family of Jugraj, the IHF and the Central government. Whatever they feel is the best for the player will be done," said Batra.
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA